Enhanced DUI Penalties in Santa Ana, CA
Aggravated Factors Leading to Harsher DUI Sentencing
The penalties that individuals receive for
DUI convictions depend on the specific circumstances of their cases. There are certain factors that can lead to harsher penalties, or "enhanced penalties." In fact, some of these factors can even raise the offense from a misdemeanor to a felony. Here are a few of the many "aggravating factors" that can result in enhanced DUI penalties in the state of California:
- Having a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.15% of higher
- Having one or more previous DUI convictions within a 10-year period
- Committing a DUI offense that results in serious bodily injury to another individual
- Refusal to participate in a chemical test (breath, blood or urine test) after a DUI arrest
- Committing a DUI offense while a child under the age of 14 is present in the vehicle
- Committing a DUI while engaging in excessive speeding (going 30 mph over the speed limit on the freeway, or going 20 mph over the speed limit on the street)
If you are facing enhanced penalties in your DUI case, you have even more to lose if you are convicted. At Thomas Tears, Attorney at Law, our Santa Ana DUI attorney is dedicated to helping clients avoid conviction wherever possible. In some cases, it is more realistic to seek a reduction of charges, such as the elimination of enhanced penalties.
Importance of Hiring a Santa Ana DUI Lawyer
When individuals have DUI cases that involve "aggravated factors," the odds of obtaining favorable outcomes in their cases become slimmer. This is why it is vital that individuals facing enhanced penalties obtain strong legal counsel to represent them. When DUI penalties are enhanced, individuals can end up suffering from longer periods of incarceration, longer periods of driver's license suspension or revocation, higher fines, etc. Contact our experienced Santa Ana criminal defense attorney as soon as possible so he can help you work to minimize or eliminate the charges that are bending against you!